American Airlines understands that customer satisfaction is a priority, so they provide a flexible cancellation policy based on the type of flight booked. Canceling a plane ticket no longer has to be a hassle. In the event of an unexpected circumstance, American Airlines offers cancellation without the worry of high fees, unlike many other airlines. All in all, American Airlines strives to make the process as easy as possible and provides relief during unforeseen events.
American Airlines Cancellation Policy
American Airlines’ cancellation policy varies depending on the type of ticket purchased. There are three different fare classes: Economy, Basic Economy, and Economy Plus. Here are some important facts to help you understand the details of your airfare.
American Airlines Basic Economy
- American Airlines’ Basic Economy ticket comes with a 24-hour cancellation refund policy.
- If you need to cancel your ticket within 24 hours of booking, you won’t be charged a cancellation fee.
American Airlines Economy
- If you cancel your flight within 24 hours of booking, you’ll receive a full refund.
- If more than 24 hours have passed since the time of booking, you will be charged a cancellation fee of $200, but the remaining amount will be credited to your account.
- If you don’t show up for your flight, the airline will automatically issue a credit for the fare, so you won’t have to forfeit the cost.
American Airlines 24-Hour Cancellation Policy
If you cancel your American Airlines ticket within 24 hours of booking, you will get a full refund according to their cancellation policy. This applies to all ticket types, including American Airlines Basic Economy fares. Your refund should be credited to your account within 7-10 days. If you cancel after 24 hours, you may be charged a cancellation fee for some types of fares.
American Airlines Weather Cancellation Policy
If there are multiple delays, weather issues, or natural disasters, American Airlines may cancel flights. In this case, they will refund the entire amount to the passenger’s account according to their cancellation policy. Passengers will be presented with different options which will be explained.
- American Airlines offers a 24-hour refund policy for passengers to claim 100% of their ticket cost, regardless of the ticket type. However, this policy does not apply to tickets purchased as part of a group block.
- Alternatively, passengers can convert an unused ticket into a credit for their next trip within one year from the date of cancellation. Additionally, American Airlines waives the fee for passengers to change ticket fares.
- If your flight was booked through their call center, you may be eligible for a full refund of any non-refundable taxes or service charges.
How to Cancel an American Airlines Flight Ticket?
Canceling your ticket is now easier than ever. Simply follow the steps below to cancel your ticket online quickly.
- Go to the American Airlines website and click on Travel/Check-in.
- Just enter your name and the record finder. If you are already logged into the website, your travel plans will show up on the Your Trips screen.
- Select your trip from the upcoming flights list and click on View/Edit. Provide the requested details and a screen will appear with two options: Change Trip or Cancel Trip.
- Depending on what action you need to take, select the appropriate option and American will help you with changing or canceling your flight.
- You can update your flight to a higher or lower class, or if you’re ready to cancel, simply click the ‘Cancel Trip’ button. You will then receive a confirmation email to the email address you registered with, and a separate email with your refund code and ticket number.
- Make sure to save these emails so you can book your flight again sometime in the future.
How to Use an App To Cancel Your American Airlines Flight Ticket?
Obtaining your American Airlines flights is easier and quicker when you use the mobile app.
- To begin, download the American Airlines app from either the Play Store or the App Store.
- Once you have done that, go to the My Trips section.
- Enter your name and booking number to search for your booking. Then, select the flight you wish to cancel and click the ‘Cancel Flight’ option.
- After that, your flight will be canceled and you will receive all the information you need.
How to Cancel an American Airlines Flight Ticket Offline?
- American Airlines makes canceling your flight easy. You can do it online or in person at one of their airport counters.
- Just give them a call at 1 888-982-1907 and provide the details of your flight and any other information they might need.
- Then let them take care of the cancellation for you so you can relax.
How to Cancel American Airlines Flight Tickets at the Airport?
- If you’d like to cancel your American Airlines reservation in person, you can easily do so at the airport.
- Just visit an American Airlines counter and the staff there will gladly assist you.
- Provide them with your flight information and they’ll take care of canceling your flight for you – no worries!
How Much American Airlines Does Charge Cancellation Fees?
The ticket type and cancellation fees for American Airlines flights are as follows: Basic Economy has no cancellation fees, Economy has a $200 fee, Premium Economy has a $200 fee, Business Class is free, and First Class and award tickets are both $0 on all domestic and international flights.
American Airlines is one of the top airlines when it comes to fleet size. With its base in the US, the airline operates a vast international and domestic network, traveling to around 350 destinations in over 45 countries across the globe, with around 6,800 flights daily. If you have already booked a flight with American Airlines and are having trouble with the cancellation process, we are here to help. Here are all the key points to gain a clear understanding of the cancellation policies for all types of American Airlines flights and policies.
American Airlines Cancellation Phone Number
- If you have booked an American Airlines flight offline,
- You can cancel it by calling an American Airlines representative at 1 888-982-1907.
- When you call, make sure to provide your booking number and other pertinent details so the representative can process the cancellation for you.
American Airlines Refund Policy
It’s not uncommon to have to make last-minute changes to your trip and cancel your flight. Don’t worry, though, as you can expect to get a refund for your canceled American Airlines flight.
- If you bought a ticket from American Airlines that is eligible for a refund, you can request one. However, you must cancel your flight at least 48 hours before the scheduled departure time.
- Refunds will only be granted if it is canceled within 24 hours of booking. After 7 days, American Airlines will begin the refund process and you should see the money in your account within 1-2 billing cycles of your credit card. For cash payments, the refund will be processed after 20 days.
What is the Process to Submit and Refund Request to American Airlines?
If you need to request a refund for your ticket from American Airlines, there are several ways to do so. You can send an email, call the customer service line, or visit the American Airlines website and submit a refund request according to their refund policy.
If you book a ticket with American Airlines, you cannot just cancel and receive a refund. However, if you cancel within 24 hours of booking, American Airlines will usually issue you a full refund to your account within the next business day. American Airlines is dedicated to providing the best service to its passengers and has relaxed its cancellation policies.