A Comprehensive Guide to Schengen Visas Types, Stay Duration and Validity Time!

If you are traveling to any of the Schengen nations, you may be a citizen of a nation that needs a visa to enter and remain in the country of your choice. Depending on why you are traveling, a different visa will be required. Here is a guide to the various Schengen visa categories to assist you with your application.

Uniform Schengen Visa

You may visit any of the Schengen nations for a maximum of 90 days if you have a Uniform Schengen Visa. This kind of visa is divided into two categories:

Type A: Known as an Airport Transit visa, this kind of visa is required for certain nationalities visiting non-Schengen countries and passing through airports in Schengen nations. An airport transit visa is required for visitors from the following nations: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Ghana, Iran, Iraq, Nigeria, Pakistan, Somalia, and Sri Lanka. It is required of travelers to stay in the airport’s international area. All other travelers, including those from the aforementioned nations, must apply for the appropriate visa to exit the airport and enter a Schengen nation.

Type C: Travelers with a Type C visa, which is a short-term visa, can enter and remain in the Schengen nation of their choice for the duration of the visa, up to a maximum of 90 days during 180 days. Single, double, or multiple entry visas are available for these kinds of permits.

Single Entry Visa

For the duration that the visa is valid, if you are granted a Single Entry visa, you are allowed to enter any Schengen nation once. Even though the visa is still valid, once you enter a nation and depart, you cannot use it again.

Double Entry Visa

A holder of a double entry visa is permitted two entries into a nation throughout the visa. You can therefore enter a Schengen nation, exit, and then return. Once more, unless you file for a new visa, you will not be allowed to enter again after leaving after entering twice. Recall that, regardless of how many times you can visit, you can only spend a maximum of 90 days—or more—in the Schengen Area within 180 days.

Multiple-entry Visa

If you intend to visit the Schengen Area frequently, you can apply for a Multiple Entry visa, which will let you enter any Schengen nation as many times as you’d like while the visa is valid. Business travelers may find this kind of visa helpful, although stays should still not go beyond the allotted maximum of 90 days in 180 days. A multiple-entry visa may be issued for one, three, or five years.

Restricted Territory Visa

Only the Schengen nation that the embassy has consented to and stated may be visited with a Limited Territory visa. The only Schengen nation that can be entered by holders of this kind of visa is the one specified on the document.

National Visas

Travelers who wish to stay in the Schengen Area for more than 90 days—for example, to study, work, or live there—can apply for national visas, often known as Type D visas. You can stay for up to a year if you have a national visa.

National Visa Types

If you intend to stay longer than a year, you can apply for a residence permit after receiving your national visa. If you want to travel to the Schengen Area for any of the following reasons, you typically need a national visa:

  • f you have enrolled in a study program for longer than 3 months
  • To work in any of the Schengen countries
  • To live in any of the Schengen countries if you are married to an EU citizen
  • To retire
  • For investment purposes or are setting up a business and have to be in Europe to do this

Travel Purpose-Based Visa Types

The most crucial factor to consider when applying for a visa is your purpose for visiting the Schengen Area. Based on this, you will know what kind of visa you need to apply for. You risk having your application denied if you apply for the wrong kind of visa when filing for one.

Tourist/Visitor Visa

This visa is exclusively for travel. This is the type of visa you will apply for if your trip is entirely for tourism, such as when you are on a vacation or tour.

Business Visa

attending a meeting with your firm if you intend to go to the Schengen Area on business. To obtain this visa, you must provide evidence of the kind of business you intend to conduct.

Visa for Airport Transit

An airport transit visa can be required if you are departing from a non-Schengen nation and changing aircraft at a Schengen airport. You are not allowed to exit the airport’s international area. To be allowed entry into the nation if you wish to do something, you must have a Schengen visa.

Student Visa

For a maximum of three months, you must have this visa to study in any of the Schengen nations. A national visa or long-stay visa will be more appropriate if you intend to study for an extended period. To apply for this visa, you must provide proof of your academic program.

Culture, sports, or religion Events

If you want to go to the Schengen Area to attend a religious, cultural, or sporting event, you can apply for a visa. You will require an invitation letter and event details, and these visas are typically good for up to 90 days.

Visa for official visits

Those who have been officially invited to travel to any of the Schengen Area’s member nations for meetings, consultations, negotiations, or exchange programs are eligible for these types of visas.

Working Visa

Applying for a National Visa is your only option if you wish to work in Europe as there are no Schengen visas that allow you to do so. If you intend to pursue any of the following types of job, you will require this sort of visa:

  • Employment
  • Working as an Au Pair
  • Professionals who have experience and/or specialist knowledge
  • Working on a self-employed basis
  • Starting up a business

Leave a Comment